Growth : Moderate
Height : 30-35m
Natural Regeneration :
- Natural regeneration is not satisfactory
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by direct sowing and nursery raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- Collection of seeds by cutting the branches.
- Seed storage behavior is orthodox
- Germination percentage is 60-80%
- Seeds were maintained for 4 years in commercial storage conditions;
- There are between 24,000 and 105000 seeds/kg.
Seed Treatment :
- No pretreatment of seed is required.
Nursery Technique :
- Seed sowing is done in mother bed during November -December.
- While showing seeds are mixed with ash for uniform distribution.
- Germination starts in about 10 days and is completed in a month.
- One month old seedlings are transferred from mother bed to poly bags
Plantation technique :
- Planting is carried out during onset of monsoon season.
- In high rainfall areas .planting of naked seedlings gives satisfactory results.
- 30cm3 pits are used for planting.
- Spacing of 3 m x 3 m is adopted .
Care & Disease Control :
- Pruning and soil working should be done periodically based on the growth conditions.
- Does not tolerate water logging
- Average Water Needs regularly, do not overwater
Recommended Harvest :
- Approximately 150-200 tons/ha*
*Subject to varry according to site factors.
Agro Forestory :
- A deep rooting system causes little interference with shallow-rooted crops, and it can be successfully intercropped with banana, tomato and other agricultural crops.
- This is a well known shade tree in coffee and tea plantations.
Major uses :
- Timber is used for building such as studs, plates, flooring , plywood and veneer manufacturing
Gum or resin:
- By virtue of their solubility, viscosity and relatively high resistance to hydrolysis, G. robusta gums may have some industrial applications.
Shade or shelter:
- This is a well-known shade tree in coffee and tea plantations.
- Its spreading branching system makes it ideal for windbreaks or shelterbelts against wind-induced mechanical damage, high rates of transpiration and surface evaporation.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.4000 – 4500/ton*
*Subject to change according to market demands