Natural Regeneration :
- Germination begins early in the rainy season.
- It can be established by Nursery raised seedlings.
Seed Collection and Storage :
- The tree seeds every year
- Seed ripens in April - June.
- Pods are collected and seeds are separated
- Seeds are sun dried
- Properly cleaned seeds are stored in gunny bags for one year.
- Germination percent 30-50 %.
- Seed weight is 37000 to 49000/kg
Seed Treatment :
- Seeds soaked in cold water for 24 hrs for better results
Nursery Technique :
- Pretreated seeds are sown in polybags of size 10 cm x 20 cm or 13 cm x 25
- cm which are filled with mixture of Red earth, sandy loam and FYM in the ratio of 2:1:1
- Two seeds are sown per bag at a depth of 1.5 cm in February-March.
- The germination starts in a week and completes in 15 days
- Retain only one healthy plant at the time of first weeding.
- Poly bags are regularly watered.
- The seedlings attain plantable height in 4 months i.e. 50-60 cm.
Plantation technique :
Nursery raised Seedlings :
- The 30 cm 3 pit at a spacing of 5m x 5m are prepared in advance to allow weathering of soil.
- Planting is done on the onset of first monsoon.
Care & Disease Control :
- Soil working and weedings once in a year.
- Plantation should be weed free with water conservation measures for proper growth (trenching based on the slope).
Recommended Harvest :
- Approximately 160-170 tons/ha*
* Yield differ depending on the site factors
Major uses :
- The leaves and young pods are used as fodder for goats and sheep.
- The pods are fed to high grade cattle in Kangayam area of Tamilnadu.
- Fibers from the inner bark are used to make fish nets and rough rope.
- Wood is very durable and suitable for Constructional purposes, railway sleepers, tool handles, fence post and agricultural implements.
- It is used for pulp and paper manufacturing.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.2600 to Rs.3000/ton *
* Rates are subjected to change