Natural Regeneration :
- Natural regeneration through coppices.
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by Nursery raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- The seeds are collected during May-June
- About 14-15 seeds/gram
- Germination percentage is 40-48%
- Plant percent is 19 %
- Only freshly collected seed should be used for sowing.
Seed Treatment :
- Soaking in soaking in cold water for 24 hrs increases germination percentage.
Nursery Technique :
- Seedlings can be raised in poly bags.
- 2-3 seeds are sown in each poly bag and water regularly.
- Germination starts within 6 days.
- One year old seedlings are fit for planting.
Plantation technique :
- Seedlings planted on the onset of Monsoon.
- The 30 cm3 pits at a spacing of 3m x 3m are prepared in advance to allow weathering of soil.
Care & Disease Control :
- Regular weeding and soil working should be ensured.
For proper growth and survival it is necessary to give one or two waterings after planting. This is specifically required in arid regions. Irrigation after planting is not a prerequisite in areas having sufficient soil moisture and precipitation. Higher survival rate and better rate of growth is reported when soil and water conservation measures are also adopted.
Recommended Harvest :
A mature tree yields about 1 - 1.5 kilos of gum a year
Major uses :
- Timber is used for inferior planking, cheap furniture, packing cases, boxes, boat masses, cooperage, etc.
- Trees are lopped for cattle fodder.