General Information :
• It is a middle sized to large evergreen tree with wide spreading branches.• Bark is pale grey or brown in color.• Flowers are short rose colored.• Pods black brown contains 20-25 brown color seeds.
It was introduced to India and now widely planted for shades in plantation, avenue and also in pasture.
Habitat : Deciduous Forest
Soil : Wide range of soils
Soil pH : PH as low as 4.6
Altitude :Up to 1300 m (MSL)
Rainfall :500-2500 mm
Temperature : 20-35° C
Terrain : Plain / hilly
Tree Characteristics :
Habit : Deciduous Tree
Natural Regeneration :
- Natural regenerated by seeds.
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by direct sowing.
Seed collection and Storage :
• Ripe pods are collected from the trees in March-April. • Dried in sun and seeds are collected and stored in gunny bag.• The seeds are 4400-7700 / kg. • The germinative capacity is about 50 - 70% • Plant percent is about 50 – 60 %. • The period of germination is from 33-48 days.
Seed Treatment :
- Hot and cold water treatment.
Nursery Technique :
• 1 Nursery raised seedlings do not stand planting out owing to injury to root system.• Direct sowing is recommended.
Plantation technique :
• Plantation land should be ploughed thoroughly.• Seeds are son in patches at 2m intervals in rows and 3 m apart.
Care & Disease Control :
Pest & Disease:
Many defoliators including the Leucena leucocephala psyllid, but usually do not severe stress problems.
Recommended Harvest :
Yields of up to 275 kilos of pods per year can be obtained from trees 15 years old
Agro Forestory :
- The species is used as a shade for tea, coffee, cocoa, nutmeg and vanilla, and provides shade for pasture and grazing animals.
Major uses :
• The tree is a popular avenue tree• The wood is used for low class fuel.• The wood is durable under water, hence used for boar building.
Other uses :
A decoction of the inner bark and fresh leaves is treatment for diarrhoea, while a brew of small sections of the bark is taken to treat stomach-ache. A crude aqueous or alcoholic extract of the leaves is observed to have an inhibiting effect on Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
Gum or resin :
The bark is an abundant source of gums and resins.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.3700 to Rs.4000/Kg.