Natural Regeneration :
- Regeneration is naturally moderate.
Artificial Regeneration :
- It can be established by direct sowing and nursery raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- The tree seeds every year
- Seed ripens in April - June.
- Pods are collected off the tree and dried in sun and split open to separate seeds.
- Properly cleaned seeds are stored in gunny bags for 19 months.
- Germination percent 50-75 %.
- Weight of seeds 27000 – 32000/kg
Seed Treatment :
- Hot water treatment for 10 minutes.
Nursery Technique :
- The seeds are sown in mother bed
- Beds are wattered regulary
- Germination starts in 7 days
- Germination percentage is 50-75 %.
- Two leaf stage seedlings are transferred to polybags of size 13 cm x 25 cm
Plantation technique :
Nursery raised Seedlings :
- Seedlings planted on the onset of monsoon rains and gives better results than direct sowing.
- The 30 cm3 pits at a spacing of 3m x 3m are prepared in advance to allow weathering of soil.
Care & Disease Control :
- After one month of planting weeding and Soil working around the plant should be carried out.
- Regular irrigation in initial days of plantation, then it can be reduced to fortnights.
Recommended Harvest :
- Approximately 135 - 150 tons/ ha *
*Subject to varry according to site factors.
Agro Forestory :
- Ideal as a shade tree on tea and coffee plantations.
Major uses :
- Fodder: The foliage can be used as fodder.
- Apiculture: It is a good source of nectar and good bee forage.
- Timber: The wood is used for interior trim, paneling, furniture and cabinet work.
- Erosion control: A. fraxinifolius has been recommended for reinforcing riverbanks and stabilizing terraces.
- Shade or shelter: Ideal as a shade tree on tea and coffee plantations and planted as wind breaks.
- Reclamation: Very good for reforestation of open areas.
- Soil improver: Leaves are suitable for mulching.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.2200 to Rs.2500 /ton *
* Subjected to Change according to market demands