Natural Regeneration :
- Natural regeneration is not satisfactory
Artificial Regeneration :
- Artificial reproduction is common by Nursery raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- The pods are collected from tree when they turn brown in color.
- Pods are then dried in the sun and broken to extract the seeds and stored in gunny bags
- Properly dried seed kept in sealed tins retain viability for one year.
- It is give 60-70% germination.
- Seeds weigh 18500 to 35000 / Kg
Seed Treatment :
- Cold water treatment for 24 hours
Nursery Technique :
- The seeds are broad casted in the mother bed of standard size in shade
- Germination starts in 6 days.
- Watering and protection of seedling from hot sun is necessary.
- The two leaf stage seedlings can be transplanted to poly bags.
- Seedlings of 6 months old are preferred for planting.
Plantation technique :
Nursery Raised Seedlings:
- Seedlings are planted out during the onset of monsoon.
- Pitting size of 30 cm3 should be dug to encourage root development.
- For Bulk planting spacing of 3 m x 3 m
Care & Disease Control :
- Regular weeding is necessary until trees can withstand weed competition
- Loosening soil around seedlings also improves growth.
- To obtain straight boles close spacing is desirable.
- Watered weekly under Drip irrigation.
Recommended Harvest :
- Approximately 200-250 tons/ha.*
*Subject to varry according to site factors
Agro Forestory :
- The tree is usually intercropped with annual crops under taungya or with fruit trees.
Major uses :
- Timber is used to make premium grade furniture, Musical instruments, paneling and exterior joinery.
- It is also planted as shade tree in coffee plantation.
- Used in afforestation of eroded soils.
- Leaf litter decomposes slowly releasing nutrients gradually and it is used as mulch.
Market details :
- Timber: Approximately Rs.4800 to Rs.5000/sft *
*Subject to change according to market demands