Natural Regeneration :
- Naturally propagated by seeds which are not satisfactory.
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by Nursery raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- The seeds are collected from may- June.
- The seeds are cleaned, dried and stored in gunny bags.
- Seed viability is very low.
- Seed Rate 7500 – 10500/ kg.
- Germination capacity 45 – 65 %.
- Plant percent is 14 – 20.
Seed Treatment :
- No seed treatment is required.
Nursery Technique :
- Fresh seeds are sown in Nursery beds and covers with soil.
- The beds are watered regularly and kept weed free.
- Germination starts in a week and completes in 4 week.
- Two leaf seedlings are pricked in poly bags and maintained in nursery for one year.
Plantation technique :
- Pit size of 60 cm3 with spacing of 3 m x 3 m or 5m x 5 m can be adopted.
Care & Disease Control :
- Routine weeding and Soil working is necessary.
For proper growth and survival it is necessary to give one or two waterings after planting. This is specifically required in arid regions. Irrigation after planting is not a prerequisite in areas having sufficient soil moisture and precipitation. Higher survival rate and better rate of growth is reported when soil and water conservation measures are also adopted.
Recommended Harvest :
- Gum of 5 kg in the first year of tapping decreasing to 1 kg in the fifth year.
Agro Forestory :
- The plant can be grown as a hedge.
- It is easily propagated by cuttings and so can be grown as a living fence
Major uses :
- Wood is used for posts, light packing cases, carving and turnery articles.
- The tree yields a good leaf fodder and lopped in many parts of India.
Other uses :
The bark contains tannins. It is used for the impregnation of fishnets. A soluble resin, called 'Jingan gum' is obtained from the stems. It is used for calico printing; as a size for paper; for mixing with lime when whitewashing; protecting nets etc., It is obtained by making shallow, short cuts all over the bark.Especially after injuries of the bark and trimmings, masses of glassy-white exudate of hardening gum appear - which may give leafless trees an eerie appearance
Carbon stock :