Natural Regeneration :
- Regeneration is very poor.
- Propagated by direct sowing or Nursery raised seedlings.
Seed Collection and Strorage:
- The fruits are collected from the trees in March-May, dried in the sun, and seed separated from floss by shaking the capsules in a bag.
- The numbers of seeds per kg 45000 seeds
- Germination percentage of 90-95%.
- Viability of seeds is very low since the seed contain food reserves in the form of oils that tend to go rancid quickly.
- The seeds are soaked in water for 24 hours prior to sowing in cold to hot water.
- The seeds are sown in polybags of size 13 x 25 cm at the rate of 2-3 seeds per bag.
- Germination commences in about a week and is over within three weeks.
- They are planted during north -east monsoon.
- The young plants raised in light shade until they are 12-15 cm tall, than exposed to full sunlight until they are ready to be transplanted to the field (about 45-60cm tall).
Plantation technique :
- Sowing carried out in raised patches 3.7 m x 3.7 m, just before th onset of monsoon, using 3 – 6 seeds per patch.
Nursery raised Seedlings:
- The land is prepared by loosening the soil through ploughing and pitting with machinery.
- Refilling with top soil
- Pit size : 45 cm3
- Spacing 5m x 5m or 5m x 6m can be adopted.
Care & Disease Control :
- Fast growing species requires little weeding after one year.
- Thorough weeding and soil working around the plants gives good results in growth of seedlings.
- Pruning is done up to man’s height.
- For proper growth and survival it is necessary to give one or two waterings after planting.
- This is specifically required in arid regions.
- Irrigation after planting is not a prerequisite in areas having sufficient soil moisture and precipitation.
- Higher survival rate and better rate of growth is reported when soil and water conservation measures are also adopted.
Recommended Harvest :
- Approximately 2000 – 4000 kg/ha of floss annually.*
*Subject to varry according to site factors.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.5000 to Rs.7000/ton*
*Subject to change according to market demands