Natural Regeneration :
- Regeneration is obtained in abundance under the mature mother tree.
Seed collection and Storage :
- Mature fruits are collected from the trees when they are about to dehisce and dried in the sun to free the seeds.
- Seeds cannot be stored under ordinary condition for more than 3-4 months.
- Germinative capacity is 60 - 90%.
Seed Treatment :
- No Seed Treatment is required
Nursery Technique :
- Seeds sown in drills 2-4 cm deep at a spacing of 5 x 7.5 or 10 x10 cm in shaded nursery beds.
- About 140 gms of will be required
- Germination begins after 14-28 days.
- Seedlings attain the height of 60-75 cm in 6 months.
Plantation technique :
- Prior to planting Mahogany must be ensured that the selected site is well thoroughly cleared of weeds.
- Dig pit of size 45 cm3.
- A pit mixture of 200gms of decomposed organic manure (FYM or compost), de oiled Neem cake and Top soil (kept aside during digging of the pit.) at the ratio of 2:1:1can be applied to each pit.
- The pits must be filled at least 2weeks before planting, to allow for the pit-mixture to settle.
- The recommended spacing for the plant is a square or triangular grid type with dimension of 6.0 X 6.5 ft.
- Watering has to be done immediately after planting.
- During the first two week watering should be done alternate day. Subsequently, irrigation can be done once in 3 to 4 days depending upon the soil and weather conditions.
- In non-irrigated lands micro-irrigation systems are recommended.
Care & Disease Control :
- Fertilizer should be applied in 8 split doses.
- First year N: P: K (17:17:17) & Micro Nutrients 200gms. / Plant / month, except dormancy (Dec - Jan) period.
- Every month this has to be split and applied through pocket manuring by making 1 ft hole near the plant .
- Apply the fertilizer in the hole and fill it with soil.
- For proper growth and survival it is necessary to give one or two watering after planting.
- This is specifically required in arid regions.
- Irrigation after planting is not a prerequisite in areas having sufficient soil moisture and precipitation.
- Higher survival rate and better rate of growth is reported when soil and water conservation measures are also adopted.
Recommended Harvest :
- 8 - 10 years
- The number of trees per acre is 1200-1500.
- For 1500 trees per acre timber yield will be 36000 Ctft under intensive management.*
*Subject to varry according to site factors
Major uses :
- Mahogany is a kind of wood — the straight - grained, reddish - brown
- Mahogany is a commercially important lumber prized for its beauty, durability, and color,
- It is used for paneling and to make furniture, boats, musical instruments and other items.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.3100 to Rs.3500/ ton and Rs.500 to Rs. 600/Sft
*Subject to change according to market demands