Natural Regeneration :
- Naturally regenerates profusely, due to abundant seeding and its capacity to withstand shade.
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by direct seed sowing and Nursery Raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- The fruits are collected during December – January
- Collected fruits are dried in sun to separate the seed.
- The seeds are stored in gunny bags for 5 month.
- Viability of the seeds is very low.
- Germination capacity is 55 – 95 %
- Plant percent is 46-70
- Seed rate is 450-1200/ kg.
Seed Treatment :
- Cold water treatment for 24 hours.
Nursery Technique :
- The fresh seeds are dibbled in shaded Mother bed.
- The beds are water regularly and kept weed free.
- The germination starts after 10 days and completes in 2 months.
- Two leaf stage seedlings are pricked in poly bags and maintained in nursery for one year.
Plantation technique :
Direct Sowing :
- Direct sowing under slight shelter shows better results.
Nursery Raised seedlings :
- One year old nursery raised seedlings are adopted for planting.
- The seedlings are planted in the second rains in pit of 30 cm 3 at an espacement of 1.8 m X 1.8m
Care & Disease Control :
- Constant weeding is necessary for a period of 2 years.
- Thinning is necessary under artificial regeneration till the plants are established.
For proper growth and survival it is necessary to give one or two waterings after planting. This is specifically required in arid regions. Irrigation after planting is not a prerequisite in areas having sufficient soil moisture and precipitation. Higher survival rate and better rate of growth is reported when soil and water conservation measures are also adopted.
Recommended Harvest :
- Increment of 0.25 m /year/tree
Agro Forestory :
- Annuals crops viz. Ginger, Turmeric, Aloe, Pineapple etc. can be grown as intercrops during first 3 to 4 years of growth.
Major uses :
- The wood is moderately durable; resistant to termites and insects;
- The wood is used for heavy construction (posts, beams, rafters, joists, columns) and heavy duty flooring and furniture
- It is also used for joinery, cabinet work, tool handles, agricultural implements, vehicles and boat building.
Other uses :
Bark acts as tonic after childbirth and also useful in anemia.Bark and unripe fruit are sudorific. Leaf and flower are antidysenteric. Flower acts as stomachic, expectorant and used in piles & burning of the feet.Seed oil is antirheumatic and used in skin diseases. agricultural implements, rollers for mills, carving, rulers, and other products.