General Information :
- Terminalia paniculata is a semievergreen tree
- Leaves are nearly opposite and heart shaped.
- Flowers pale white.
- Fruit has one large and two small wings.
- It is widely distributed throughout the greater part of India.
Habitat : Evergreen Forest
Soil : Succeeds in most well-drained soils of at least moderate fertility.
Soil pH : 4.5 - 7.5
Altitude :900 to 1,200 m (MSL)
Rainfall :1,000 - 5,000mm.
Temperature : 13°c - 39°c
Terrain : It prefers moist and well drained terrain
Tree Characteristics :
- Strong light demander and intolerant of suppression.
- Drought hardy
Habit : Evergreen tree
Natural Regeneration :
- Propagated by seed. Put from Terminalia arjuna
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by direct sowing, cuttigs.
Seed collection and Storage :
- The tree produces abundant seed annually.
- Fruits are ripen during the months of May-June.
- About 14-15 seeds weigh one gram.
- Seeds can be stored for 2 years under ordinary conditions.
Seed Treatment :
- Seeds are soaked in hot water for 1 minute and left in cold water for 48 hours before sowing.
Nursery Technique :
- Seeds are sown in mother bed during March – April.
- Germination stats in a week and complete in a month.
- Beds are regularly watered and weeded.
- 3-4 months old nursery raised seedlings are fit for planting.
Plantation technique :
- Planting of 3-4 months old seedlings nursery Raised seedlings seedlings at a spacing 3 m x 3 m in 30 cm3 pits.
Care & Disease Control :
- Plantation should be weed free and with proper soil working.
Recommended Harvest :
- Approximately 120 – 150 tons/ha.
Major uses :
- Timber and fuel.
- Bark has medicinal value.