Natural Regeneration :
- Regenerate naturally by root suckers and coppices year under favorable conditions.
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by nursery raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- Fertile seed is produced abundantly, and annually, from 3-5 years onwards.
- Ripe pods are collected in December – January
- Pods dried in the sun 3-4 days and broken pods or clean seed stored in sealed for a year.
- There 16000 to 18000 pods or about 50,000 to 53,000 seeds in a kg.
- Germinative Capacity of fresh seed is as high as 90-100 %, and
- Plant percent about 80.
- Germination starts 8 – 10 days after sowing and is complete by about 20th day
Seed Treatment :
- Pre-treatment of seeds is not necessary, but soaking in water for 12 - 24 hours accelerates germination.
Nursery Technique :
- Seeds are sown in Mother beds in February – March.
- Sowing may be done any time between mid-February and September
- Beds are irrigated twice a week
- Two leaf seedlings are transplanted from mother bed to Polybags.
- 6 months old seedlings are suitable for planting out.
Plantation technique :
- Planting Season – Spring for stump planting (March-June)
- Pit size – 45 cm3
- Spacing for block or strip plantations at 1.8 x 1.8 m to 4 x 4 m
Care & Disease Control :
- At about 6 years, 30-40% of the stems are thinned
- Thinning is recommended every 10 years
- Shallow and frequent irrigation or constant flooding is harmful.
- 10-15 irrigations are adequate in the first season and 4-6 in the second (depends on local conditions).
Recommended Harvest :
- 20-30 years in irrigated plantations
- Approximately 70-100 tons/ha*
*Subject to varry according to site factors.
Agro Forestory :
- Grasses, Agriculture crops - maize, mustard, rapeseed, gram, peas, wheat, sugarcane and cotton etc and fruit crops
Major uses :
- Timber is used for furniture, cabinets, decorative veneer, marine and aircraft grade plywood, ornamental turnery, carving, engraving, tool handles and sporting goods, doors and windows.
- Shade or shelter: Used as a windbreak in mango, coffee and tea plantations.
- wood is used as Firewood
- Fiber for writing and printing paper
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.6000-7000/ton*
*Subject to change according to market demands