Natural Regeneration :
- Natural reproduction comes profusely under favorable conditions viz. light, shade moisture and exposed soil.
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by Nursery raised seedlings.
Seed Treatment :
- Pre sowing treatment is not required.
Nursery Technique :
- Seeds of about 0.1g (about 2500 seeds) can be sown in wooden trays filled with fine river sand and soil and treated with fungicide.
- The seeds are better mixed with sterilized sand before sowing.
- They are sown in February at the rate of about 0.2 gm of seed per m2 of bed.
- Percentage of germination is high.
- Before sowing, the beds are thoroughly wetted and seeds are broadcast on the top taking care that seeds do not get buried in the soil.
- After sowing, watering is done with a fine rose can according to requirements as the young seedling are sensitive to both drought and excessive moisture.
- Germination takes place in about 3 weeks from the date of sowing.
- After germination shading is removed.
- The germination percentage is 60-90%.
- The seedlings from the tray can be pricked and transplanted in the poly bag with fungicide after attaining a height of 5 cm.
- Shade cover is needed after transplanting.
- Growth is fast under tropical conditions and plants could reach plantable size (30 cm) in four to five months.
Plantation technique :
- The Kadam trees are planted at an espacement of 5 x 5m spacing during the monsoon season.
- Wider spacing can be adopted to have more girth and also for intercropping during the initial period (1-2 years).
- For better results, the spacing adopted should be at least 5 x 5m / 6 x 6m.
Care & Disease Control :
Weeding and pruning should be done at regular interval.
- Regular dry season watering
Recommended Harvest :
*Subject to varry according to site factors.
Agro Forestory :
- besides vegetables, pine apple, arhar and pulses.
- Trees are also planted in the boundaries of the field.
- Hence in farm forestry, the farmers can get more yields of crops and generate revenue .
Major uses :
- The veneers and plywood suitable for the manufacture of commercial grade
- Plywood and tea chest plywood.
- It is also suitable for the manufacture of pencils, match boxes, and splints. Suitable for writing and printing paper
- Brown wrapping paper can also be prepared by sulphate process.
- The wood is extensively used for ceiling boards, light construction work, packing cases, planking, carving and turnery.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.4000 to 5000/ ton for plywood.*
*Subject to change according to market demands