Natural Regeneration :
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by seedlings, cuttings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- Ripe pods are collected in April - May.
- The pods are beaten up to extract seeds.
- The seeds can be stored in gunny bag for long time
- Seed rate 2100 – 3250/Kg.
- Germination Capacity is 25 – 70 %
- Plant Percent is 20-30
- The seeds remain viable for more than 5 years
Seed Treatment :
- Cold water treatment for 10 days gives 25 % germination.
- Hot water treatment for 5 days gives 30 % germination.
Nursery Technique :
- The seeds are sown in unshaded nursery bed in September – October.
- Beds are watered regularly.
- Germination starts in 12 days.
- The two leaf stage seedlings are pricked out in polybags and maintained in nursery.
- The seeds can also be directly sown in poly bags.
Plantation technique :
- Planting out is carried out during July in 30 cm3 pits,
- Under dry conditions, pit size of 60 cm3 with a spacing of 3x3 m.
- Planting should be carried out after the commencement of monsoon.
Care & Disease Control :
- Pruning should be done to develop a good crown structure
For proper growth and survival it is necessary to give one or two waterings after planting. This is specifically required in arid regions. Irrigation after planting is not a prerequisite in areas having sufficient soil moisture and precipitation. Higher survival rate and better rate of growth is reported when soil and water conservation measures are also adopted.
Recommended Harvest :
Rotation: 20 years
Rotation: 20 years
Major uses :
- It is extensively cultivated for shade and ornament in avenues and gardens throughout the warmers parts of India.
Other uses :
It is used traditionally for tool handles, grain mortars, beer containers, milk pots, beehives, clogs, wooden spoons and cups and is also suitable for cabinet work, carvings and utensils. The wood is used for fuel. A very promising fuel wood, it has high density, calorific value and carbon percentage, and low silica and nitrogen.
Carbon stock :