Natural Regeneration :
- Natural regeneration through coppice
Artificial Regeneration :
- Seedlings can be easily propagated by vegetative cutting and nursery raised seedling.
Seed collection and Storage :
- Fertile seeds are produced at early stage.
- The ripe seeds are collected may –August.
- The seeds weigh about 230-350 per gram.
- The germination percentage is 30-80
Seed Treatment :
- No Seed treatment is necessary.
Nursery Technique :
- Seed are sown in Feb-March in the mother bed
- 75-100 gms per/m2 bed.
- After sowing, the bed is covered with thin layer of soil and thatches
- Bed should be watered regularly.
- Germination takes place in 10-15 days.
- Two leaf stage seedlings are pricked out from the mother bed and transferred to poly bag.
Plantation technique :
- Planting is done at the onset of monsoon.
- The land is prepared by loosening the soil through ploughing.
- Pit size 30 cm3 and Spacing 3 x 2 m, 3x 3 m and 3.5 m x 3.5 m.
Care & Disease Control :
- In case of coppice origin, coppicing should be at a height of 10-20 cm above the ground.
- Singling of coppice shoots is taken up within 6 months of harvesting.
- Undesirable shoots are cut back during the 1st and 2nd year after sprouting.
- Drip Irrigation is recommended.
Recommended Harvest :
- Short rotations of 5 - 6 years for pulp and paper.
- 10-15 years for plywood.
- Over matured trees can be used for biomass power plant.
- In Tamil Nadu, about 25-30 t/ha at a rotation of 6-7 years was realized
- through seed raised plantations
- Introduction of clones increased the yield up to 60-70 t/ha in 6 years rotation.
- Through site clone matching, a yield of 100-150 t/ha was achieved in five years rotation depending on the fertility level of the soil.
Agro Forestory :
- Planted in shelter-belts as a windbreak and for shade
Major uses :
- Wood is used mainly for and paper & pulp, plywood, poles, posts, fire wood, charcoal
- It is also used for hardboard and particle board.
- The leaves are 1 of the sources of eucalypt oil, and the principal leaf oil is cineole (45%).
- The oil yield percentage by fresh weight is 0.9-1.4%. The wood contains 0.5% essential oil.
Tannin or dyestuff:
- The wood contains 6-12% tannin, and the bark 3-15. In Congo, tannin is extracted from the wood and the bark.
- It has popular and widely used for firewood and charcoal.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.6000-700/ton for Pulp and paper and Rs.9000-10000/ton for Plywood.
*Subject to change according to market demands