General Information :
- White Frangipani can grow as either a small shrub or tree ranging in height from 0.9-6.1 m with widely spaced thick succulent branches.
- The leaves are clustered near the tips of the branches. The leaves are dark and leathery and tend to be shiny on the upper surface.
- The flowers of this species are borne in clusters that form at the ends of the branches on a long thick stalk.
- The fruit of this species is a dry follicle which splits along one side to release the winged seeds.
Native to Central America and the Caribbean, it is now common and naturalized in southern and southeastern Asia.
Habitat : Tropical and sub-tropical climates.
Soil : Succeeds in a range of soils so long as they are well-drained
Altitude :Up to 2,000 metres
Rainfall :750 mm to 1500 mm
Temperature : Upto 40 deg C
Terrain : Plains, hills and coastal plains
Tree Characteristics :
- Established plants are very drought tolerant.
Habit : Evergreen Tree
Natural Regeneration :
- Naturally regenerated by seeds.
Artificial Regeneration :
- Artificial reproduction is common by Nursery raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- Flowering and fruiting: March-May.
- Pods are then dried in the sun and broken to extract the seeds and stored in gunny bags.
Seed Treatment :
- No Pretreatment Required.
Nursery Technique :
- Seeds can be sown in semi-shade, either in nursery beds or in individual containers. When fresh seed is used, a germination rate in excess of 80% usually occurs within 8 - 15 days.
- Seedlings should be placed in individual containers by the time they are 6 - 10cm tall, and are ready to plant out when 7 months old.
Plantation technique :
- Dig pits of 30 cm3.
- Fill up the pits with top soil mixed with 10 Kg of FYM and 1 Kg of Neem cake per pit.
- The seedlings are generally planted in pits having the size of 30x30x30 cm. The most common spacing adopted for plantation is 5m x 5m. On road sides, deeper pits of the size of 45 x 45 x 45 cm are preferred.
Care & Disease Control :
- In early stages weeding is necessary. In second year, soil working is important.
Major uses :
- The flowers, Root, Seed and Latex are used as a medicine.
- Flowers used in Pooja.
- The light brown wood is hard, heavy, and tough. It is used in carpentry where the tree grows to sufficient size.
- The wood is used for fuel.