Natural Regeneration :
Natural Regeneration :
- Babul reproduces naturally through seeds and seedling coppice.
- Germination takes place during rains.
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propogated by direct sowing and Nursery Raised Seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- The tree seeds well almost every year,
- Seeds are collected during May-June by ground collection .
- Seeds are stored in gunny bags or in tins
- Properly cleaned seeds are stored in air tight container for 3 years.
- The Germination percentage is 50-90.
- Seed weight is 6600-11600/Kg
Seed Treatment :
- Soaking in hot water for 30 minutes is more effective
- Soaking in cold water for 48 hrs.
Nursery Techniques :
- Sowing can be done in well prepared nursery beds in February-March.
- The seed beds must have well drained Sandy-loam soils.
- Immediate watering to seeds beds should be ensured.
- Germination begins in 2-4 days.
- Two leaf stage seedlings are transferred from the mother beds to polybags.
Nursery Raised Seedlings:
- Pretreated seeds are sown in polybags of size 10 cm x 20 cm or 13 cm x 25 cm which are filled with mixture of Red earth, sandy loam and FYM in the ratio of 2:1:1.
- Two seeds are sown per bag in February-March.
- The germination starts in a week and completes in 15 days
- Retain only one healthy plant at the time of first weeding.
- Poly bags are regularly watered.
- The seedlings attain plantable height in 4 months i.e. 50-60 cm.
Plantation technique :
Nursery raised plants :
- The 30 cm3 pit at a spacing of 3m x 3m are prepared in advance to allow weathering of soil.
- Planting is done on the onset of monsoon in offshore and during receding of water in the tanks.
Care & Disease Control :
- Fence is necessary for 2 years as Babul is liked by livestock’s and wild animals.
- Soil working and weedings once in a year.
- Plantation should be weed free with water conservation measures for proper growth (trenching based on the slope).
Recommended Harvest :
- 10 to 12 years for fuel wood purpose
*Depends on the site factors
Major uses :
- Best suitable wood for cart-making and agriculture implements
- The wood is an excellent fuel wood and biomass power plant.
- The leaves are an excellent fodder and rich in crude protein.
- The tree yields Gum Arabic which is used for ink paints, calico paintings and dying.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.3600 to Rs.4000/ton *
* Subjected to Change according to market demands