Natural Regeneration :
- Natural regeneration is by seeds and coppice freely.
Artificial Regeneration :
- Propagated by Nursery raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage :
- It seeds twice a year July to November and February to May.
- Ripe pods should be collected before they split and dried in the sun for 3 to 4 days.
- The pods then split, when seeds can be gathered by sieving.
- Properly dried and treated seeds can be stored for long, about 8-10 years.
- Each pod contains 15 to 30 seeds.
- Seed weight is about 20000/Kg.
Seed Treatment :
- Soaking the seed in hot water for Two to Three minutes or in cold water for 24 – 48 hours to hasten the germination.
Nursery Technique :
- Seeds can be sown directly in poly bags and watered regularly.
- The seedlings attain plantable size in 3 months.
- Three months old nursery raised seedlings are planted during the onset of monsoon.
Plantation technique :
- Spacing for Fodder : 1 m x 1 m
- Fuel wood : 1 m x 1 m
- Pulpwood : 3 m x 1.5 m
- Hedge rows may be closely spaced (75 to 100 cm) to achieve maximum yield.
- For alley cropping 3 to 10 m
Care & Disease Control :
- Regular weeding, till plants are one to two meters tall
- Soil working round the plants to a radius of 0.5 m should be done at least thrice in the first year, and as many times as needed in the subsequent years.
- Singling of multiple shoots, by retaining one or two healthy shoot at each plant, will give good girth increment.
- Thinning should be done, in the 2nd year and 3rd year, to get better girths in the 4th year.
- Needs good irrigation facilities.
Recommended Harvest :
- For Pulpwood as the minimum girth is 10 cms, harvest in 4 years
- As the species is a good coppicer, several harvests at three year intervals can be obtained, over a period of 40 years.
It coppices vigorously, the rotation period for fuel is 8 - 10 years and for timber 30 - 40 years.
Agro Forestory :
Boundary or barrier or support:
- Used as a live fence, firebreak and live support for vines such as pepper, coffee and cocoa, vanilla, yam and passion fruit.
Major uses :
- It is suitable for pulp and paper manufacturing.
- It makes excellent fire wood and charcoal.
- It is used for carpentry purposes; to make cheap constructional materials, used for poles, fence post.
- Leaves, pods and seeds are excellent fodder for cattle, sheep and goats.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs 1500 – 2500/ ton*
*Subject to change according to market demands