Natural Regeneration :
- Natural regeneration through coppice
Artificial Regeneration :
- Seedlings can be easily propagated by vegetative cutting and nursery raised seedling.
Seed collection and Storage :
- Fertile seeds are produced at early stage.
- The ripe seeds are collected may –August.
- The seeds weigh about 230-350 per gram.
- The germination percentage is 30-80
- One gram of seeds expected to give 45 seedlings.
Seed Treatment :
- No pretreatment is necessary.
Nursery Technique :
- Seed are sown in Feb-March in the mother bed
- 75-100 gms per/m2 bed.
- After sowing, the bed is covered with thin layer of soil and thatches
- Bed should be watered regularly.
- Germination takes place in 10-15 days.
- Tow leaf stage seedlings are pricked out from the mother bed and transferred to poly bag.
Plantation technique :
- Planting is done at the onset of monsoon.
- The land is prepared by loosening the soil through ploughing
- Pit size 30 cm3 and Spacing 3 x 2 m, 3x 3 m and 3.5 m x 3.5 m.
Care & Disease Control :
- In case of coppice origin, coppicing should be at a height of 10-20 cm above the ground.
- Singling of coppice shoots is taken up within 6 months of harvesting.
- Undesirable shoots are cut back during the 1st and 2nd year after sprouting.
- Drip Irrigation is recommended.
Recommended Harvest :
- Short rotations of 5 - 6 years for pulp and paper.
- 10-15 years for plywood.
- Over matured trees can be used for biomass power plant.
*Subject to varry according to site factors.
Agro Forestory :
- Crops like Potato and beans are suitable for intercropping
Major uses :
- The leaves are 1 of the sources of eucalypt oil, and the principal leaf oil is cineole (45%).
- The oil yield percentage by fresh weight is 0.9-1.4%.
- The wood contains 0.5% essential oil.
- E. globulus ssp. globulus provides good firewood with an oven-dry calorific value of about 19 900 kJ/kg.
- The leaves are valuable for the extraction of eucalyptol, commercially important eucalyptus oil.
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.5000 to Rs.7000/ton*
*Subject to change according to market demands